Food for Thought, brought to you by the Oregon State Student Health Services Dietician Lynn Cordes, MS, RD, LD.
Looking for a healthier alternative to your 3 o’clock granola bar? This whole grain muffin favorite is an easy way to sneak some vegetables into your day! Try substituting 2 tablespoons applesauce for the oil to get your fruits in too! Walnuts provide protein that can help prevent the afternoon crash. Double the recipe and freeze for a healthy “no-brainer” snack for any time of the day!
Food Hero Recipe
Non-stick Cooking Spray
1 cup low-fat milk (1%)
1⁄3 cup sugar
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1⁄2 cup grated carrots
1⁄2 cup raisins
1⁄2 cup toasted walnuts (optional)
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1⁄2 cups flour
1 cup old-fashioned oatmeal
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking powder
1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
1⁄2 teaspoon salt
1. Heat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Coat muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray.
3. Mix egg, milk, sugar, oil, carrots, raisins, walnuts, and vanilla.
4. Mix flour, oatmeal, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
5. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir gently until flour is just moistened. Gently fill muffin cups about 3/4 full.
6. Bake for 15 minutes or until edges start to brown.