Have a craving for your local Mexican restaurants Nachos deluxe but trying to shed some lbs in the New Year? Satisfy your craving without the 1000+calorie indulgence by making this meal at home instead!
Save about 10g of saturated fat and add the filling power of fiber by swapping the chips for a baked potato. Added bonus: You’ll save some serious $$ too!
- 1 pound small red potatoes, skins on
- 2 teaspoons oil or cooking spray
- 8 ounces ground turkey
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup lettuce, shredded
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- 3⁄4 cup cucumber, peeled and diced
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup salsa
- Slice potatoes into small circles about 1/4 inch thick.
- Lightly coat the potato slices with oil (or spray for 3 seconds with cooking spray).
- Arrange slices on a baking sheet in a single layer. Bake in the oven at 450 degrees for 25-30 minutes, depending on desired darkness.
- Meanwhile, add ground turkey and chili powder to a skillet. Cook, stirring over medium heat for 8-10 minutes or until turkey browns.
- Remove potatoes from the oven.
- Transfer baked potatoes to a casserole dish or an oven-safe dish. Top with turkey and sprinkle with cheese. Put back in the oven to melt the cheese, about 2 minutes.
- Remove from oven and top with lettuce, tomato, cucumber, cilantro, and salsa.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2-3 hours.
* For nutritional information, information about prep time, cooking time, and to adjust ingredients to particular serving sizes, please view this recipe on the Food Hero website here