With finals just around the corner, you can lower your stress during that week by preparing healthy meals in advance such as this one. The whole grain barley found in this recipe is a healthy way to satisfy the natural carb craving you experience during stressful times. The beans and vegetable also help to sustain fullness while providing essential vitmains and minerals. With this recipe stored in the refrigerator or freezer, meals will be easy, healthy, and satisfying!
- 2 cups cooked pearl barley (cooking directions below)
- 1 can (15 ounces) kidney beans, drained
- 1 cup corn (canned, frozen, or fresh cooked)
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup sliced celery
- 1⁄4 cup sliced green onion
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon or lime juice
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- fresh cilantro or parsley sprigs, for garnish
- Mix barley with remaining ingredients, except garnish, in a large bowl.
- Cover and chill several hours or overnight to allow flavors to blend.
- Garnish with cilantro or parsley sprigs, if desired, and serve.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2-3 hours.
To cook pearl barley:
In medium saucepan with lid, bring 3 cups water to a boil. Add 1 cup pearl barley and return to boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook 45 minutes or until barley is tender and liquid is absorbed. Makes about 3 to 3 1/2 cups. Place any extra cooked barley in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to a week or freeze. Add cooked barley to soups, stews, casseroles, and salads for a healthful whole grain boost.
* For information about prep time, cooking time, and to adjust ingredients to particular serving sizes, please view this recipe on the Food Hero website here.
* Click on the image of the nutrition label for a larger picture.