Never tried zucchini before? This side dish recipe is a great way to make half your plate vegetables, just in time for summer. Zucchini is a summer vegetable that contains more than half of your recommended Vitamin C when eaten with the skin. It also provides a strong nutritional benefit for very few calories- ½ large zucchini with the skin will only cost you about 25 calories but provide 1.5 g of filling fiber and protein each along with potassium, folic acid, and Vitamin B-6.
- Wash zucchini and cut into 1/4-inch slices.
- In large frying pan, cook onion in oil on medium heat until tender.
- Add zucchini to onions and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add tomato and seasoning; cook 5 more minutes.
- Put mixture into an 8” x 8” square baking dish and sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2-3 hours.
* For information about prep time, cooking time, and to adjust ingredients to particular serving sizes, please view this recipe on the Food Hero website here.
* Click on the image of the nutrition label for a larger picture.