Weekly Posts

Week 3: Job Descriptions

Think of the last job you had. How much did the job description influence your decision to apply for the position? How closely did your experience on the job match the job description? In what ways was it similar and in what ways was it different? If you have it available, please share a copy of the job description in your post.

My current position was the last job that I applied for. When reviewing the job description, I was really interested in the combination of the HR and financial duties. Prior to this role, I was an HRIS consultant working with clients all over the world. Prior to that, I worked in a finance and accounting, administration role. Since this position combined the finance and HR, I was very interested in pursuing it. Additionally, I was able to discuss the growth opportunities of this position with the hiring manager to see how this position would grow and change. During those conversations, I was able to understand how this position would look a year from then and understand the opportunities of working in a strategic role along the leadership of the office. This position was very different than my past role because I was moving from the private sector to higher ed. Additionally, this position was more focused in finance than my HRIS role was.

The job description was a tool to start a conversation. Once I was able to discuss with the hiring manager the goals of the position, I was better able to understand the needs of the position and the future growth opportunities. This description was just the start while the office went through organizational changes. Once those changes were complete, there was a greater opportunity for growth in the position. Since I gained that information from the conversation, I was better able to understand the role and determine if I was interested in pursuing it.

Overall, I felt that my prior experience was a good match with the requirements of this position. Furthermore, I was interested in the growth opportunities that this position would offer in the future.

Position Summary:

Under the general supervision of the Fiscal Director in the Vice President for Research. This provides administrative and technical support for the Vice President of Research office and the Center & Institutes on issues pertaining to Human Resource needs and fiscal needs.

Position Duties:

60% – Collaborates with Central HR and Business Centers HR to ensure the Research office is in compliance with the University’s HR related procedures and polices; this includes salary increases process for the entire Research office. Provide hiring support for hiring managers. Ensure department has all position descriptions, evaluations, and search files up to date.

40% – Financial and Budget Analysis: monitors/reconciles departmental revenues/expenditures to ensure transactions and adjustments are accurate, and reports on significant deviations. Provides back up support OCCD business functions. Collaborate with Business Centers on submission of all accounting/finance transaction processing. Assist in budget development as needed.

3 replies on “Week 3: Job Descriptions”

Hi Sara,

Hello again! I think we were in the Strategic Compensation class with Michele together last term!

Your current position and story about it seems like the perfect example of the importance of having a great job description. The task statements are written exactly the way our professor this week taught us and it through this description they were able to find you for the position.

I’m wondering if this is the job description for what your position looks like now or if this is what it was when you applied? OSU seems like a place that would be really on top of updating job descriptions when positions change so that’s why I’m curious! It’s really great that you found a job that combines two aspects of business that are of interest to you.

Hi Katharine,
That is correct, it is nice to have a familiar face in class this term! The job description of the position was definitely just a starting point. At the time, this was a new position for the office so the position has grown a lot. I am currently in the process of writing an updated description. In my office, we encourage supervisors to work with their direct reports to update the position descriptions as part of the annual performance review so that the goals they set can reflect their most current work. Hope this helps and that you stay well!
Sara

Sara,
I think it’s great that you were able to have that discussion about what the job is really like. It’s always great to have an idea of what you’re getting into. I see from the comment that you’re working on an updated job description which I think is really important, because you’ll help the next person.