Howdy! Un viaje de nueve meses

Just another blogs.oregonstate.edu weblog

Howdy! Un viaje de nueve meses

The Farewell Tour… in College Station

November 24th, 2009 · No Comments · Uncategorized

riverdance

For those who are outside or unaware of the dance world, there is approximately a 3% chance that you haven’t heard of the phenom group called Riverdance. They have been around for nearly 15 years, with 2009/2010 marking their last season touring as a group. With tour stops including New York, Paris, London, Los Angeles and San Francisco, the troupe also made it to one other very important place… Aggieland in College Station, Texas!

I couldn’t believe it either. Somehow, Russel and I managed to snag some tickets, and last Thursday I fulfilled a dream that I have had since I was 8 years old. I FINALLY GOT TO SEE RIVERDANCE. A little nerdy? Maybe. A little obsessed? Quite possibly. But I don’t think anybody will argue that the skills of the dancers, singers or musicians that make up the Riverdance touring group isn’t worth the time and money to see live. They even blog about their tour! http://www.riverdance.com/blog/

It was an amazing experience; the show was about the heritage of the Irish people, from the days of worshipping the gods of nature, to the hard times of the potato famine, to making the immigration to the Americas. There were Russian ballet dancers, modern jazz tap dancers, traditional Irish step dancing, tap dancing, dueling tap dancers and a huge group routine for the amazing finale. At the end my voice was hoarse from cheering, my hands hurt from clapping, and I was mad that I left my tap shoes in Oregon (just kidding; trying to imitate the dancers is futile!). I met another student who has my same obsessiveness with the Riverdance production. She is from Germany, and knew that this would probably be her last chance to ever see them. As we got off the bus, we both agreed (gushingly, if that’s a word)┬áthat it was AMAZING. Russel, for his part, definitely got a little of the dance culture, and a large taste of his own Irish history.

For anyone who might have a chance to go see them as they round out their tour on the west coast, I definitely, one hundred and eighty percent recommend it!

riverdance2

No Comments so far ↓

There are no comments yet...Kick things off by filling out the form below.