Writing Exercise #5

Growing up, I never thought much about my nutrition; as I grew up in a low-class society and had little choice in what I ate. Furthermore, organized group sports were not an option for me to participate in. However, since enrolling into college, I have used med education and resources to help me become more active and in control of my health. Before I knew of the benefits for my microbial communities, I decided to engage in some sort of physical activity at least an hour a day. Furthermore, I recently decided to invest into a vegan lifestyle. This diet and activity promote by being dense in foods which are considered probiotics and increase the activity of the bacteria in our gut, as well as increase in anti-inflammatory cytokines (https://www.healthline.com/health-news/exercise-improves-your-gut-bacteria#1). One activity which negatively impacts my microbial health is not getting enough sleep. I am constantly up late and waking up early, which disrupts the rhythm of the gut and increases the risk of obesity and other gut-related diseases.