header image

Change

Posted by: | July 28, 2009 | 4 Comments |

As of today I am half way through my Bahamian adventure here on Lee Stocking Island.  I have had the privilege of meeting some very interesting people whom I’ve learned a great deal from along with many experiences I will never forget.  Living and working here has challenged me both physically and mentally, resulting in a few changes I would like to share.

#1- My skin keeps getting darker and darker while my hair gets lighter and lighter (we’re talkin on the verge of platinum blond here).  I’m pretty sure my parents will hardly recognize me as their own child when they come to pick me up at the airport. 

#2- My once scrawny, little arms seem to have developed small bulges, which I guess can legitimately be called muscle now. Must be from all the heavy lifting of scuba tanks and gear in and out of the boat every day.  (I should note that this was a VERY small change, but still a change all in all)

#3-  My dependency on the internet has increased drastically.  Facebook is my only contact with friends from home and Skype has been a lifesaver to keep in touch with the family.  My cell phone on the other hand has sat on my dresser gathering dust since the day I got here. 

#4- Scuba diving is as natural as walking for me now. I hardly think about the fact that I’m underwater anymore. In fact, most times I’m actually more comfortable and relaxed underwater than on land because I am free of all the outside stresses.  On my wall I have a clipboard to keep track of all my dives this summer and as of today I am up to 117 scientific dives.

#5- I have gained new insight on the rigors of fieldwork and the excitement of finding answers to your own questions.  Being surrounded by curious and knowledgeable minds is extremely interesting and inspiring.

under: Daily Life

4 Comments

1. By: Mike R on August 3, 2009 at 10:51 am      

It seems you are having a splendid time with your research, I am very curious to see your findings once this project is completed.

It would be a blast to dive in the Bahamas, and I would love the chance to compare such a dive with those I did in the South Pacific a few years ago. If you ever get a chance to dive off Lady Musgrave Island in Australia I highly recommend it. Perhaps your next adventure in field work will take you that direction.

Best Regards,
    Mike R.

Leave a response

Your response: