This page is designed to give you more information about the various scholarship and volunteer opportunities available. Please contact us if you have additional opportunities that you know of to post to this section of the website.
Current Scholarship & Fellowship Opportunities:
- ASSP Foundation Scholarships: Since 1990, the ASSP Foundation has provided more than $1.6M+ in scholarships to more than 500 OSH students. Scholarship awards are for students majoring in occupational safety, health, and the environment. Applications are accepted September 1 through December 1 every year and must be submitted online. After applications are reviewed by the Foundation’s Scholarship Award & Selection Committee, awards are disbursed to recipients the following April. Visit the ASSP foundation scholarships page for more information.
- ASSP Foundation Grants: The ASSP foundation provides programs that advance the safety profession. In 2015, they expect to award more than $200,000 to OS&H students and professionals through their scholarships and grants program. Visit the ASSP foundation grants page for details.
- ASSP Columbia-Willamette Chapter Scholarships: The applications for the Thorsell and Leadership scholarships are posted on the ASSP Columbia-Willamette Chapter Scholarship and Grants page. The purpose of these funds is to provide educational aid to deserving students who are enrolled in an institution of higher education and are seeking degrees in disciplines preparatory to a career in occupational safety, health and/or environmental science. Applicants enrolled in an associate degree program will be considered for the Leadership Award. Applicants enrolled in a bachelor degree program will be considered for both the Thorsell and Leadership awards. The Thorsell scholarship is $1,000.00 and the Leadership scholarship is $500.00.
- ASSP PhD Fellowship: This fellowship program is also intended to support doctoral students who will conduct evidence-based research in the economic and financial analysis of occupational health and safety issues.Visit the ASSP PhD Fellowship page for details.
- Corvallis Montessori School: Starting this year, we will be representing ASSP on Corvallis Montessori School’s Safety Committee. We will be participating in meetings and doing quarterly facility walkthroughs to protect the health and safety of the teachers and childcare workers.
- Oregon Young Employee Safety Coalition: The Oregon Young Employees Safety Coalition (o[YES]) is an organization designed to educate young workers and their employers on workplace safety, and how to prevent injuries in the workplace. Each year they hold an annual “Speak Up. Work Safe.” video contest, which volunteers from our ASSP student group will be helping to put on during spring term.
- College of Engineering Collaboration: ASSP has established a successful collaboration with the College of Engineering. This year volunteers from our ASSP student group will be working with other student groups in the College of Engineering on health and safety for their projects. If you are interested in being a part of this collaboration, we will be discussing opportunities during our November 3rd meeting.
- Coalition of Graduate Employees (CGE): We will be collaborating with the CGE, which is the union for Oregon State University graduate employees. We’ll help address workplace safety issues for graduate employees, including graduate research assistants’ fieldwork.