This page is designed to give you more information about the various internship, scholarship, and volunteer opportunities available. Please email ASSE@oregonstate.edu if you have additional opportunities that you know of to post to this section of the website.
Current Scholarship & Fellowship Opportunities
- ASSE Foundation Scholarships: Since 1990, the ASSE Foundation has provided more than $1.6M+ in scholarships to more than 500 OSH students. Scholarship awards are for students majoring in occupational safety, health, and the environment. Applications are accepted September 1 through December 1 every year and must be submitted online. After applications are reviewed by the Foundation’s Scholarship Award & Selection Committee, awards are disbursed to recipients the following April. Visit the ASSE foundation scholarships page for more information.
- ASSE Foundation Grants: The ASSE foundation provides programs that advance the safety profession. In 2015, they expect to award more than $200,000 to OS&H students and professionals through their scholarships and grants program.Visit the ASSE foundation grants page for details.
- ASSE Columbia-Willamette Chapter Scholarships: The application for the Thorsell and Leadership scholarships is posted on the ASSE Columbia-Willamette Chapter Scholarship and Grants page.The purpose of these funds is to provide educational aid to deserving students who are enrolled in an institution of higher education and are seeking degrees in disciplines preparatory to a career in occupational safety, health and/or environmental science. Applicants enrolled in an associate degree program will be considered for the Leadership Award. Applicants enrolled in a bachelor degree program will be considered for both the Thorsell and Leadership awards.The Thorsell scholarship is $1,000.00 and the Leadership scholarship is $500.00.
- ASSE PhD Fellowship: This fellowship program is also intended to support doctoral students who will conduct evidence-based research in the economic and financial analysis of occupational health and safety issues.Visit the ASSE PhD Fellowship page for details.
Current Internship Opportunities
- 2016 Loss Prevention & Safety internship – for college students that are majoring in occupational safety and health with future possibilities of Midwest, west coast or southern region full time placement, who are interested in pursuing a career in insurance loss control. For more information, please visit http://www.baldwinandlyons.com/careers/open-positions?gh_jid=148365
- Environmental Health and Safety Internship – SpaceXMcGregor, Texas – Summer 2016 – Application Deadline: Not Listed. For more details, visit http://www.spacex.com/careers/position/8246
- EHS Engineer Intern – IntelHillsboro, Oregon – Summer 2016 – Application Deadline: Ongoing. For more details, visit https://intel.taleo.net/careersection/10001/jobdetail.ftl?job=772347
- Safety/Environmental Student Associate – HondaOhio/Indiana Locations – Summer 2016 – Application Deadline: Not listed. For more details, visit https://hondana.taleo.net/careersection/ah_ext/jobdetail.ftl?lang=en&&job=HNA0000CB
- EHS Intern – Estee LauderBlaine, Minnesota – Summer 2016 – Application Deadline: Not listed. For more details, visit http://elcompanies.taleo.net/careersection/external/jobdetail.ftl?lang=en&job=152676
- Oregon Young Employee Safety Coalition: The Oregon Young Employees Safety Coalition (o[YES]) is an organization designed to educate young workers and their employers on workplace safety, and how to prevent injuries in the workplace. Each year they hold an annual “Speak Up. Work Safe.” video contest, which volunteers from our ASSE student group will be helping to put on during spring term.
- College of Engineering Collaboration: This year we are happy to be collaborating and be co-sponsored by the college of engineering. This year volunteers from our ASSE student group will be working with other student groups in the College of Engineering on health and safety for their projects. If you are interested in being a part of this collaboration, we will be discussing opportunities during our November 9th meeting.
- Coalition of Graduate Employees (CGE): Starting in November, we will be collaborating with the CGE, which is the union for Oregon State University graduate employees. We’ll help address workplace safety issues for graduate employees, including graduate research assistants’ field work.