Week 5 Post

1. If you were in the shoes of the business owner and had to choose which person would you hire (Avery or Jaime) and why?

There are a few more factors that I would need to know in order to make the most effective decision on this matter. Do I work for a large corporation or a small startup looking to take off? With this comes the size of my staff that would be along with the individual, how many resources do I have at my disposal, what are the types of projects, etc. Because I don’t know any of these factors, I am going to go with the safe pick and hire Jaime. Jamie is known for her consistency, and that is something that every business needs. However, if there was more content, this decision could be changed very easily.

1. Describe a type of job where it would be better to hire someone like Avery (i.e., high potential, poor consistency) than Jaime? What is it about that job that makes someone like Avery more valuable than Jaime?

Someone like Avery would be a great hire for an R&D department, or a department within the company that needs help or just that initial spark to get it going. The ceiling here is what you focus on if your in this situation rather than the consistency. If the team is already performing poorly, you need to take the risk on someone like Avery in order to stay alive. Given it is an essential position, it makes sense for the company to hire someone like this if they are in need of that spark or are in trouble.

1. Describe a type of job where it would be better to hire someone like Jaime (i.e., low potential, high consistency) than Avery? What is it about that job that makes someone like Jaime more valuable?

Someone like Jamie would be better hire than Avery for more essential, repetitional parts of the business like accounting, management, and things of that nature. You are going to get a consistent person when you hire Jamie, and that is exactly what companies are looking for when they are hiring for these positions when things are good. If a company is looking to grow, or is in trouble, consistency is something that you don’t really look for as much as ceiling and potential.