Nicole Bohall – President 

Email: bohalln@oregonstate.edu

I am an undergraduate at Oregon State University who is studying climate science. I am a technical assistant for Erin Pettit, a scientist who studies the acoustics of glaciers, and through this I have gained experience with computing programs such as raven pro sound analysis software and QGIS. I also work with scientific instruments such as hydrophones, weather stations, and ground penetrating radar. I am the president of the OSU student chapter of the American Meteorological Society which has given me the opportunity to not only grow my leadership skills but to build relationships with others who are interested in learning about earth sciences.

Katey Meyers – Vice President

I am an undergraduate junior in the OSU Climate Science program and an Air Force Reserve Officer Corps Cadet. I was first inspired to study climate science when I had to opportunity to tour the aircraft and interact with scientists in the Korea-US Air Quality (KORUS-AQ) program led by NASA. Afterward, I was able to start in the Earth Sciences Degree through OSU E-Campus and ultimately moved to Corvallis to complete the Climate Science Program. I plan to have a stronger involvement seeking researching opportunities with Atmospheric Sciences or Paleoclimatology. The OSU AMS Student Chapter gave me so many opportunities to meet other students with similar interests and amplify my university experience! I am excited to be the 2019-2020 Vice President to help our club excel to the next level.  Given my previous experiences as Secretary and Treasurer in other organizations, I hope to further develop my personal leadership skills and the success of the club for social and professional experiences.

Saray Valdez Hernandez – Secretary

I am an undergraduate senior in the College of Earth Ocean and Atmospheric Sciences (CEOAS) pursuing a climate science degree. I have a strong interest in paleoclimate and have been working   on an ocean sediment core off of the Willapa Canyon performing paleomagnetic research since January 2019 under Assistant Professor, Maureen Walczak. I am excited to be this year’s secretary of AMS. I plan to be involved in the “behind the scenes” work in both executive duties and our webshow that will launch during the 2019-2020 year! Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

Alan Huston – Treasurer

“I am an undergraduate student at Oregon State University majoring in Climate Science. My passion for the outdoors came from my stereotypical boy scout activities while growing up in the state of California. From visiting national parks, to witnessing natural disasters firsthand, climate science has been an avid part of my life. At Oregon State, I work as an undergraduate researcher with Professor Nicholas Siler. This work involves manipulating and analyzing linear glacier models in order to better understand the significant glacier trends of the past millennium. I also have a peaking interest in the study of wildfires, and hope to pursue that topic in graduate school.”

Ken Slama 

I am a senior undergrad climate science student at CEOAS, though my focus is on Atmospheric Science and Meteorology. My goal is to become a broadcast Meteorologist and my internship at KOIN 6 in Portland during the 2019 summer has taught me a lot about weather forecasting and television.  This has been a career goal of mine since I was 8 years old and being able to finally pursue that dream has been incredible.  It wouldn’t have been possible without the support of my wife and 2 girls. Through the AMS club, I have been able to make some great friends both in the classroom and  through events and activities in the community.  I look forward to another year of activities involving community outreach, career education, and fun.

Erin Hennessy

I am an undergraduate student in the Climate Science program here at OSU planning on graduating in the spring of 2020. I have been involved in research in CEOAS with Dr. Nick Siler that relates to precipitation variability in the western US. Additionally, I am a Summer Student Intern at the National Centers for Environmental Prediction (NCEP) where I work in the Environmental Modeling Center on a verification project for their Global Forecasting System (GFS) model. I love being a member of the Student Chapter of the AMS club for many reasons. It is a great way to connect with other grad and undergrad students who also have interests in weather and climate. The outreach events we do are always fun and a great way to interact with the Corvallis community and practice explaining atmospheric science to others. And finally, the professionals who visit us to discuss their careers and the trips we go on have opened my eyes to many of the career possibilities related to weather and climate sciences. This is a really fun group and an amazing way to connect with peers, faculty, and other professionals.

Daniel Watkins    

I am a climate scientist specializing in the atmosphere over Arctic sea ice. My work involves analyzing archived historical weather balloon data, satellite data, and output from climate models to understand the processes controlling the near-surface atmospheric temperature profiles. I started work on a PhD in Ocean, Earth, and Atmospheric Sciences here at OSU in 2015 after finishing my master’s degree in mathematics at Drexel University. I have a passion for science communication, which I pursue through organizing public outreach with the Student Chapter of the American Meteorological Society, scientific illustration, comics, and recently through the Meet a Scientist program at the Oregon Museum of Science and Industry as a Science Communication Fellow.