C.H.A.M.P.S

Crepes, Hemispheres, Art, a Marketplace, a Palace and Schoolwork. These are what have dominated the past few days, primarily the latter.

One of the most astounding facets of this study abroad experience is that I can earn six credits in only three weeks (for those of you readers who are

Late-night, post-study session crepe run!
Late-night, post-study session crepe run on Thursday! I also tried Nutella for the first time…

unfamiliar with how OSU’s credit system works, a full-time student takes between 12 and 15 credits in 11 weeks during the fall, winter and spring terms), however, this also means that there is a significant amount of schoolwork that takes up my time outside of class. I’m really enjoying all that we’re studying, though, so it doesn’t feel like a chore. Thanks to everyone who checks this blog frequently, even when I don’t post for a few days!

Straddling the two hemispheres at Greenwich!

Thursday morning was spent doing miscellaneous chores around my flat followed by a coffee date with several of my friends, and then in the afternoon, my Isaac Newton class traveled to Greenwich to visit the Greenwich observatory. While there, I saw a series of clocks that revolutionized navigation at sea and calculated my longitude using calculus, a sextant, and Greenwich Hour Angle charts. I also stood in both hemispheres of the globe, straddling the Prime Meridian! Now I can check that off my list! It was also very interesting to watch the clock that dictates what time it is across the globe, which is accurate to fractions of a second.

Yesterday morning, my English lit class met, and we talked about

Horsing around at the National Gallery.
Horsing around at the National Gallery.

Edmund Spencer’s The Faerie Queene, the Tudor dynasty – more specifically, Henry VIII’s terrible treatment of his wives and country, the rise of Bloody Mary (not the alcoholic beverage), and how utterly awesome Elizabeth I was as a monarch – and scansion (analysis of syllables) of poetry. We spent the afternoon perusing the National Gallery and National Portrait Gallery, both outstanding collections! I was most excited to see the Vermeer, Van Gogh, Monet, Michelangelo and Turner pieces, and they certainly exceeded my expectations!

This is now one of my new favorite of Van Gogh's!
This is now one of my new favorite of Van Gogh’s!

I adore the atmosphere of museums, particularly art galleries; there’s something about the hushed appreciation for subtle techniques and the unthinkable amount of hours spent hunched over a canvas perfecting a piece that permeates the crisp moldings, the calm and collected attendants, even the demeanors of easily upset infants are affected by the awe-inspiring masterpieces.

Today we took a train to Hampton Court Palace, one of Henry VIII’s places

King Arthur (Steven) and his Knights of the Round Table (Hexagonal Fountain).

of residence and spent nearly five hours exploring the grounds. Most of the rooms remain in their original condition, complete with massive tapestries and stained glass, and the gardens were immaculately cared for, including the maze that we navigated. We were also given cloaks to wear while walking around the grounds, and they really contributed

May I present, their Royal Highnesses, Queen Amira and Queen Jane!

to the ambiance… I was able to appreciate the palace more, since I felt tied to it via the period article of clothing. This was another place where I could have easily spent several days, yet I am so glad to have experienced it for the time that I did! Later this afternoon, I went with some friends to Portobello Market, which was an adorable one-way road that was chock full of vendors in stands and shops, showing their wares and socializing with the neighbors.

Bedtime! Good night from London!

Found my sister in Portobello Market!
Found my sister in Portobello Market!

Published by

Jane Myrick

Jane Myrick is a full-time student at the Honors College at Oregon State University.