Need to log your volunteer service? CLICK HERE
Volunteer opportunities you can do from anywhere, on a flexible schedule (updated 8/3/2020)
- Practice Plant Clinic (online) – Practice responding to mock questions. Sign up HERE. Report service as Plant Clinic: Direct.
- Ask a question for Practice Plant Clinic for other volunteers to try their skills. You can email your inquiry to email@example.com or call or text (541) 321-0870. Report service as Plant Clinic: Direct.
- Plant Clinic Dashboard. Respond to real questions from gardeners. To sign up CLICK HERE. Report service as Plant Clinic: Direct.
- Write a guest blog. It can be about a personal gardening experience or sharing about a gardening topic that you’d like to research. Check with your program staff for service category.
- Send in a Plant Problem Show and Tell. Report service as Plant Clinic:Direct or if you a continuing volunteer, as Continuing Education.
- Citizen science with Oregon Season Tracker. Report service as Other : approved projects.
Due to the public health situation, garden volunteering opportunities are limited and may be at capacity. Interested in participating in an activity that is at capacity? Please contact elizabeth.records (at) oregonstate.edu to get connected with the organizer and learn of future opportunities. Note: for school/youth gardens volunteers must clear a criminal history check prior to participating.
Demonstration Garden at Linn County Fairgrounds Report service as: educational garden: maintenance
Waverly School Garden (volunteers needed) Report service as: educational garden: maintenance
Coming soon: Willamette Community Garden
Mason Bee cocoon cleaning and education sessions (details soon)
Updated 11/21/2019: List of active volunteers currently eligible to participate in the OSU Extension Master Gardener program (Linn) between 11/1/2019-10/31/2020.
- Certified: eligible for all volunteer activities.
- Uncertified: not eligible to provide education to public (presentations, plant clinic, serving as a mentor, any direct education, etc.) until they become certified.
- In the class of 2020? You can provide education with the support of mentors and program staff as you accrue hours towards your first certification.
Plant Clinics (Report your hours as: Plant Clinic – Direct)
- Not available due to public health situation:
- MG Plant Clinic Desk at the Linn County Extension Office (operates year round)
- Albany Farmers Market Plant Clinics (May-Oct)
- Sweet Home Farmers Market Plant Clinics (contact MG Brenda Winslow for dates & to sign up)
- Brownsville Farmers Market Plant Clinics (contact MG Don Lyon for dates & to sign up)
- Pop-up Plant Clinics (occasional/year round)
Have you been asked to speak/teach for an outside group?
Want to start a new volunteer project?
Want to volunteer for a community project that is not listed above?
*Please reach out to the MG Program Assistant (Elizabeth Records) prior to volunteering. All new outreach events need approval by Extension and more involved volunteer projects also need approval of the LCMGA. This is to ensure that all of our educational projects meet the OSU Extension Master Gardener Program mission and can be adequately supported by available volunteers and funding. You may be asked to submit a ‘new project request” form. This process is in place for several reasons: it allows the Extension staff and faculty to provide adequate supervision by ensuring that volunteer opportunities meet the OSU Extension Master Gardener program mission, that OSU’s volunteer liability coverage covers your activities, ensures that advertising of public events is done according to OSU guidelines, and avoids duplicate projects by potentially connecting you to other volunteers and/or funding resources for work in similar projects.